Aces Cockroach Blog


Description For Blog

cockroaches infestations

Cockroaches and silverfish among 10 hygiene fails 


COCKROACHES, silverfish insects and black mould were all found in the kitchen area of a major Scottish hospital during a random check.

The kitchen area of the Western General in Edinburgh – one of the country’s major cancer treament centres – was judged to be an “ideal habitat” for cockroaches.

And following the inspection, the hospital was marked as ‘Improvement Required’ by Food Standards Scotland.

The check was carried out in April this year but has only now been revealed following a Freedom of Information request.

Disturbingly, the cockroaches were discovered just two years after the same insects were discovered in the kitchen at the same hospital.

The full report from the inspection noted a total of ten contraventions of Food Standards Scotland regulations.

Other issues highlighted included flaking walls, dirty chopping boards and damp plaster.

The report reads: “The design, construction, sitting and size of the boxed in space behind the kitchen dishwashing machine is causing the formation of condensation and undesirable mould on the surfaces.

“The lack of ventilation and heat/ moisture from hot pipes is creating an ideal habitat for cockroaches. 2 dead German cockroaches were seen inside.”

It continues: “Silver fish insects were seen at the radiator in the hall outside the catering offices.”

“The ceiling at the extraction fan above the kitchen dishwasher was affected with black mould growth.”

The report also notes: “The walk-in freezer has been clad internally in stainless steel. Ice is building up between the wooden door frame and the cladding. Condensation is causing mould growth.

“There was no access to the prest control computer database and no recent records of pest control visits were available.

“The walls of the staff tea kitchen were damp and plaster was flaking off.”

The report added: “Some wall tiles in the dish wash area were cracked.

“Some chopping boards (mainly green) were badly scored and difficult to clean.

“Dust is accumulating on the cable/ gas conduit runs in the centre of the main cooking range. Adequate cleaning is not being undertaken. This could fall into food being cooked in close proximity.”

The report concluded: “The mobile wash hand basin unit at the canteen severy was not provided with paper towels for hand drying and as it is in a hidden position did not appear to be used.”

Silverfish are small wingless objects that consume household objects such as carpet, clothing, coffee, dandruff, glue, hair, paper, plaster, and sugar to survive.

They can live for over a year without eating, and thus, eradicating them from households often proves difficult.

The term “black” mould is often used to refer to the Stachybotrys species of mould.

It can cause respiratory problems such as chronic coughing, and irritation of the throat, along with headaches and eye soreness.

The report recommends that a “pest control contractor must survey and treat areas out with food handling areas to protect food areas from pests.

“The ceiling requires to be suitably cleaned and painted.”

It also states that the area behind the dishwasher should be “opened up and kept clean like the rest of the kitchen. Alternatively light and ventilation could be introduced into this long thin room.”

George Curley, Director of Facilities, NHS Lothian, said: “We take food hygiene and safety extremely seriously and have robust processes in place to maintain high standards across all of our premises.

“Following this unannounced inspection in April immediate actions were taken to address each of the issues it raised. We have improved the environment around the boxed in area at the back of the dishwasher and our pest control contractor, who carries out regular monitoring, has increased its surveillance.

“Our catering staff carry out daily hygiene inspections and follow strict cleaning regimes which are checked and signed off by site management on a daily basis.

“We have taken the outcome of this report extremely seriously and further enhanced our already stringent procedures to maintain high levels of cleanliness across all of our kitchens.”

The Western General Hospital houses around 570 in-patients and is one of Scotland’s leading breast cancer treatment centres. It recently became home to a £1.35 million facility for young cancer patients, aged 16 to 24.

By Callum Mason

cockroach infestation worsens

Auckland's cockroach infestation worsens


They're creepy, they're crawly, and they're lurking where you'd least want to see them.

Newshub has obtained figures from Auckland Council showing cockroach infestations account for 60 percent of food outlet closures in the city. And it seems Auckland's cockroach woes are worsening.

"Our technicians have logged a 55 percent increase in activity compared with last year," says Jon Thompson, of pest control service Rentokil.

"It's always very much to do with the seasons. Cockroaches will always become more active in the warmer, summer months -- and this summer, we had a nice, warm summer that seemed to go on for quite some time."

Central Auckland was the worst represented area but it's improving, with the number of forced closures dropping year by year.

South and east Auckland had a bad year in 2014, but have picked up again. West Auckland has been up and down while the North Shore is on a slide, but is still probably your safest bet for a roach-free restaurant.

Newshub reporter Katarina Williams went out with Auckland Council health inspectors as they did their rounds, looking in the nooks and crannies.

"Wherever it's warm, moist, that's where we're most likely to find them. If they're out and about during the day, then you know that's a real problem," says inspector Veronica Lee-Thompson.

And if cockroaches are found lurking, the council has the power to force a business to close its doors, usually temporarily, so they can clean their premises.

Gloria Jean's sailed through the inspection. It has strict pest protection measures in place, and the owner works hard to achieve compliance.

"We have to deal with it, like, every single second. That's why it's hard, I guess," says Tony Lee, Gloria Jean's owner.

Auckland Council is due to release new food safety guidelines for eateries in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, remember to check the A rating of a restaurant. If it's anything less than A -- don't eat there.

By Katarina Williams

cockroach INFESTATION Epsom Auckland!

Thousands of cockroaches invade Auckland street

David and Philippa Gravatt say they have caught 2000 cockroaches around their Epsom property this summer.

A war has broken out in Auckland and there have been thousands of casualties.

Cockroaches have been invading David and Philippa Gravatt's Epsom property for the past three summers.

Every night David sets about six traps around his Albury Rd house and wakes to find them covered in hundreds of cockroaches.

David and Philippa Gravatt have tried all sorts of methods to get rid of the roaches.

David says the average nightly haul is 120 roaches. This summer's total has nearly reached 2000.

"We've had thousands this summer, literally thousands," he says.

"I put bait out where the cockroaches are and then go back 10 minutes later and see 20 or 30 of them, just like that."

Philippa says their neighbours are having similar problems, with one couple finding a cockroach in their baby's bed.

"The problem now is they are all coming into the house," she says.

"You'd just be sitting there watching telly and something would move so then you'd spend the next 10 minutes trying to catch them."

The Gravatts have traps in their attic, bathroom, by their dishwasher and around their house.

"We had two families out one night with rolled up newspapers and tape, belting the hell out of them and we didn't even make a dent in them," Philippa says.

Philippa noticed the problem three years ago when she was out walking her dogs at night.

"There were all these insects running round like baby mice all over the footpath and down the hill," she says.

"There were literally thousands and they were coming out of the sewer lid in the middle of the road."

David shone a torch down the sewer and was horrified to see it full with cockroaches.

A Watercare spokesperson says they have been contacted twice by Albury Rd residents about the issue.

"Each time we flushed the wastewater pipes and Auckland Council's environmental health team arranged for the cockroach extermination," the spokesperson says.

"If the access point is a manhole or public pipe, we will employ a bug extermination company to treat or seal the access."

Watercare has arranged another "courtesy flush" of the Albury Rd pipes.

Cockroaches have been invading David and Philippa Gravatt's Epsom property for the past three summers.

An Epsom couple say they have caught 2000 cockroaches around their property this summer.